Saturday 5 November 2011

Lamb Meatballs with a Cheese Surprise


I love to use lamb mince as it takes on the flavours of the herbs, especially the garlic and rosemary. In my view better than beef or pork. Also it tends to have less fat in it than other minced meats. This recipe is almost the same base as I use for my lamb paddies which is another old time favorite for me. People love to come for dinner when I am cooking wither of these. They are basic to prepare but taste so good.

Ingredients

600          grams lean lamb mince
½            onion chopped finely
1              egg, lightly beaten
1/2           cup GF bread crumbs
1              tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
1              tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
2              tablespoons grated carrot
1              tablespoon fresh chopped basil
Sea salt and freshly milled black pepper to taste
2 -3          tablespoons olive oil
200          grams mozzarella, the dryer the better, diced into small chunks

Directions
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the oil. Using your hands, mix throughout, but gently.  I use my thumb when I am mixing as it allows me to push the ingredients into the mix to make sure its all mixed evenly. Do not over mix.  Lightly oil the palms of the hands, and shape into medium sized, 2cm meatballs.  Push back any mozzarella pieces that poke through the meat - they will melt and burn.

Heat a medium sized frying pan large enough to hold the meatballs.  If this is not available, work in batches.  Sauté meatballs over medium-high heat, turning as you cook, to brown all sides.  When browned, lower heat and cook, covered, for ten minutes.

Uncover, turn meatballs to the other side and recover.  Cook for another ten minutes    There should be enough fat released from the meatballs, but if the pan gets dry, add a little oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment