Saturday 5 November 2011

Lamb Meatballs with Button Mushrooms Gluten Free



I love to use lamb mince as it takes on the flavours of the herbs, especially the garlic and rosemary. In my view better than beef or pork. Also it tends to have less fat in it than other minced meats.

This recipe is the same base as I use for my lamb paddies which is another old time favorite for me. People love to come for dinner when I am cooking either of these. They are basic to prepare but taste so good.

Ingredients

600          grams lean lamb mince
500          grams of small button mushrooms, whole
½            onion chopped finely
1              egg, lightly beaten
1/2           cup GF bread crumbs
1              tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
1              tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
2              tablespoons grated carrot
1              tablespoon fresh chopped basil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 -3          tablespoons olive oil
                3-4 cups of my Sicilian Tomato Sauce

Directions

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the oil and the mushrooms. Using your hands, mix throughout, but gently.  I use my thumb when I am mixing as it allows me to push the ingredients into the mix to make sure its all mixed evenly. Do not over mix.  Lightly oil the palms of the hands, and shape into medium sized, 2cm meatballs.

Pre-heat oven to 170C or turn slow cooker to low


Heat a medium sized frying pan large enough to hold the meatballs.  If this is not available, work in batches.  Sauté meatballs over medium-high heat, turning as you cook, to brown all sides.  When browned remove and place into a baking dish with the button mushrooms.

I use my Sicilian Tomato Sauce and cover the meatballs and mushrooms and bake in the oven for 1-1/2 hours. I do not like to cook these to fast

Slow Cooker Option

Once the meatball have been browned place in a slow cooker with the mushrooms and sauce and cook on low for 6-8 hours. The meatballs can be prepared the night before and just brown them off in the morning and into the slow cooker they go. You will come home to a house smelling like a Sicilian kitchen on a Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment